Today

Most have heard the saying, "Today is going to be the first day of the rest of your life." Most of us know that it means that you have to let the past go and live like it was your last day on earth. Enjoy the moment and live for today are said by many. These are platitudes are more easily said than done. Living in the moment takes a lot of focus and work. It takes a mega amount of concentration to live in the NOW when you are planning, writing, watching TV, cooking, or running. One trick I have added to my arsenal of strategies to enjoy my life is to put little notes up in my most usual places that remind me to concentrate on the here and now so that I can be in the present. This helps me to revel in the now of my running, writing, or teaching. I could be going to the office or lecturing to the class and I would see the note, FOCUS, and that would remind me to take a second to see all the beauty around me. I would then stop and look at the students in my room and realize how lucky and blessed I am. This always brings a smile to my face. While living for today I chew my food a little slower, I listen more intently to the music that I am relaxing into, I stretch my muscles a little farther to feel the tingle, and I smile a little more widely as I make eye contact with one of my fellow human travelers. Putting up notes that say, “Smile, Focus, Think, Relax, and Enjoy” will help you to do all those things more effectively. I put them on the bathroom mirror and the refrigerator. I put them on the front door right a eye level. Put them where ever you will see them regularly. This strategy consciously makes me concentrate on smiling, thinking, and enjoying the moment. When you can stop the flow of worry, sadness, anxiety, or negativity and supplant it with positive thoughts, enjoyable musings, and creative visions of your day then your day is bound to be full of joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfection

Finding Joy

Perfection 2