Perfection


What is perfection. Certainly what is perfect for me would not be perfect for you or would it? Perfection is a judgment, feeling, opinion, or idea. We want things to be perfect that can't possibly be that way unless we change our perspective and say that it is. So perfection is our ability to take something that is not perfect and say that it is. Many times in my life things have happened to me that were wonderful, but  I recollected the event as not perfect, because there were always aspects of the event that didn't go as I had planned. Well, that is the way most everyone views their lives and events that happen to them. Perfection is a judgment that will never be or can always be. It is a state of mind that flows continually as we experience our day. My bike ride where I had to brake suddenly because a car almost got in my way, when I barely averted an accident because of a big rock in the street, and when my wheel slipped into a groove and I almost tipped over going 18 MPH was absolutely perfect.
Everyone comes into this world perfectly connected to the force and energy that creates us. As we grow though we slowly separate ourselves to build defenses between us and the outer world. We know from experience and instinct that our world is a difficult place to survive and we have to protect ourselves from all the environmental experiences that may cause us pain. Our parents help and hurt us with the accomplishment of that goal. When we become thoughtful and introspective our guiding light directs us toward going back to that spiritual perfection we knew as a baby. We go to church, of many denominations, we read books, meditate, study Zen, and in general develop a belief system that makes sense to us. Regardless of which belief system you participate in, the truth is that we are all going home. The only difference between any of us is when we judge others to be wrong in the way that they believe. We all do that, even me. I work hard to eliminate that bad habit I have of condemning others for their belief system. As we grow in awareness of the fact that we are all the same (we just come in different packages) we start to enjoy the moments that swirl around us a little more. When we do that then that is true perfection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfection

Finding Joy

Perfection 2