First Day in the Last Year

The last day is always the saddest, happiest, and most emotional. When you are working, raising a child, or taking a trip the last day is always the most emotional. You think back to the times when you dropped your ice cream, scolded your child, or jumped for joy and remember the good and the bad times you had during the adventure you just experienced. Those memories trigger emotions.
All emotions are wonderful experiences. The experience and the feelings you have are the marks you attach value to. Even when my mom died, at 88, it marked a turning point for many in my family. Although it was sad, because we would miss her, it was an experience I will never forget. It actually brings memories that make me laugh. All of these things dot our lives with markers of influence. I am not advocating that you go out and purposefully cause yourself pain or fill your life with emotions that make you panic or cry but the balance of pain and pleasure is an intricate part of the process of life.
Life brings you a first and a last in everything. I have been the luckiest teacher in the world because I have had the wisdom to take all these firsts and lasts and experience them in the NOW as much as I can. I could do better some days but some days I am a master. This is the first day of the last year for my current career. Thank You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfection

Finding Joy

Perfection 2